The Times are a Changing
The times are a changing.
"Over these many centuries, details associated with temple work have been adjusted periodically, including language, methods of construction, communication, and record-keeping. Prophets have taught that there will be no end to such adjustments as directed by the Lord to His servants." - 2 January 2019 - Salt Lake City Official Statement
This quote pretty much sums up that the LDS church is going to make changes to their beliefs as society dictates to stay relevant to the predominantly socially accepted standard of the time.
However there's a problem with this statement,
- When Joseph Smith "received" his first vision in 1820, it was not an adjustment of details, it was an entire overhaul of doctrine since he professed that the Church had become corrupt.
- Let's agree to disagree that 2 centuries can be considered "many". President Nelson's depiction of the LDS church's influence for many centuries is overstated.
- More than just language, methods of construction, communication or record-keeping have been changed. What about:
- Negro's attaining the priesthood (my apologies if the term Negro is considered offensive)
- Abolished Polygamy (at least mainstream Mormonism)
- Mormon apostles and presidents consistently taught that birth control was wicked and sinful.
- The American Indians are descendants of the Jewish race
- Eve's (womanhood's) sudden elevated importance in temple ceremonies (among many other changes)
- "Prophets have taught that there will be no end to adjustments",
- this just leaves any future "prophet" free to make statements from "god" that contradict other leaders. But that's ok, because we're constantly adjusting the rules.
- But in fact; Joseph Smith and Brigham Young often said their revelations were true and will never change. So what does that mean when it does?
I believe we have 1 of 2 reasonable possible explanations for the changes:
God cannot see the future and has to adjust his feelings and perspective on his opinions for our benefit, and the LDS presidency and quorum of the 12 hear from God even though he's contradicting himself from time to time.
The Mormon church does not hear from God, and the presidency and quorum are reacting to social pressure to make their beliefs more palatable to the general public.
A liar doesn't have a T-shirt on that says "I'm a liar"
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 1 John 4:1 King James Version (KJV)
And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 2 Corinthians 11:14 King James Version (KJV)
But there is truth out there, Jesus the true Son of God doesn't change.
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. Hebrews 13:8 King James Version (KJV)
The Bible teaches that God is unchanging and all knowing. And the Bible also teaches that we are to be discerning when it comes to prophets and teachers.
It's not a sin to have genuine questions and seek answers.